When I’m hungry or feeling run-down, very few dishes are as satisfying as meatballs with zucchini noodles. The delicious mix of flavors combined with the satiety from ground beef re-fuel me after even the most demanding of WoDs.
This week, I’ll show you how to make one of my favorite variations: Sun-Dried Tomato & Pesto Meatballs – guaranteed to make you go back for seconds. One of the great things about this recipe is that all the ingredients can be purchased at Trader Joe’s, which is easy on the wallet.
Meatballs (adapted from Everyday Paleo)
- 2lb ground beef (grass-fed if possible)
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
- 2TBs chives or green onion
- 2TBs fresh basil (minced)
- 3 garlic cloves (can also use frozen cubes from TJ)
- 1tsp each salt and pepper
- 2TBS coconut oil
Zucchini w/ Pesto Sauce (adapted from Lina’s Recipe)
- 6 medium zucchinis
- 1-2 cups of fresh Basil leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic (depends on how garlicky you like your pasta!)
- 3/4 cup macadamia nuts (you can also use pine nuts or walnuts, but Macadamias are higher in Mono Unsaturated Fats, so it’s even healthier for you!)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix all meatball ingredients together except coconut oil, shape into small balls.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and add the coconut oil. (if you don’t have a cast-iron skillet, use a conventional skillet and transfer to an oven-safe baking dish) Brown the meatballs.
- Cover pan and transfer to the oven. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- While meatballs are cooking, combine all pesto ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Use a vegetable peeler or spiralizer to make zucchini noodles
- When meatballs are cooked through, heat butter & olive oil in a pan and add zucchini noodles. Saute on high heat for approx 2 min.
- Serve zucchini noodes topped with meatball and pesto sauce!