Hey everyone! In working with my nutrition clients, I have found that a lot of people get upset with the idea of giving up pasta. If you think about it though, you really aren’t tasting the pasta, you are tasting all the yummy stuff covering it, like the sauce or other add-ins!
Well, I’m here to tell you that you can still have Pasta — but without all the damaging grains. And with that, I present you with:
Paleo Pesto Pasta
Ingredients For Homemade Pesto
- 1-2 cups of fresh Basil leaves
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic (depends on how garlicky you like your pasta!)
- 3/4 cup Macadamia Nuts (you can also use pine nuts or walnuts, but Macadamias are higher in Mono Unsaturated Fats, so it’s even healthier for you!)
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
Ingredients for Noodles
2 zucchinis (you can also use yellow squash!)
1/2 an onion
sliced mushrooms (as many as you like, but totally optional)
olive oil (to coat the sauteing pan)
Spiralizer (if you don’t have one, you can use a potato peeler to shred the zucchini, but it’s not really the same)
Pan for Sauteing
Directions for Pesto
1) Wash and pat dry basil
2) Place basil, olive oil, garlic, and walnuts into a food processor
3) Combine until a desired consistency is reached
4) Add salt and pepper to taste!
5) Feel free to add more or less oil, more or less garlic. Feel free to experiment!
Directions for Noodles
1) Wash zucchinis and cut off the ends
2) Fix zucchini into Spiralizer (Or just shred with a potato peeler)
To round out this meal, go ahead and add some protein to it. Like some diced chicken or beef! What a wonderful way to get your veggies and enjoy the comforts of Pasta!