Breakfast can be difficult – you wake up late, you’re tired, you’re coming to the am WoD. The last thing you want to do is cook breakfast. That bagel with cream cheese sure would be convenient…. How do I get up everyday at 4:45am and still eat a healthy breakfast? The egg frittata. Frittatas are a lot like omlettes, except they are baked in the oven into a delicious casserole. First off, this frittata is chock full of veggies and loaded with nutrition. Second the frittata format allows you to make a full pan (5-6 servings) at once. I divy up the servings into snap-lock containers and I have breakfast on the go that can be prepared in 1 minute in the microwave.
I always start with spinach because it has so many vitamins and nutrition relative to its calorie load. From there you can mix it up, in this recipe I went with zucchinis and sweet potato, but you could also use mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, jalepenos, tomatoes, and just about anything else you’ve ever seen in an omlette (minus the cheese, trust me you won’t need it).
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 a sweet potato
- 2-3 zucchinis
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach
- 1/2 lb pork sausage
- 1 TBS Kerrygold butter
- salt and pepper
- Brown the sausage in a cast iron (or other oven safe) skillet, about 4 minutes on medium. There is no need to drain the grease.
- Shred the sweet potato and zucchini in a food processor (or grate, but food processor is much easier).
- Add butter and sweet potatoes, saute approximately 4 minutes until sweet potatoes soften.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, whisk the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Add zucchini, saute additional 2 minutes.
- Add spinach, saute additional 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs, coating the veggie / sausage mixture evenly.
- Cook on med/low for 10 minutes, until the eggs have set.
- While cooking, preheat broiler to high.
- Place the entire pan under the broiler. Broil on high for 3 minutes.
Serve with avocado slices or salsa verde from Trader Joe’s. Yummy!